Hello all you tech-heads out there.
This is our latest meeting.
Nice group of people joined us for a long discussion. Our topics spanned the COVID crisis to what are the best iPad keyboard covers. Our recommendations include content created almost 80 years ago. Old media, and new, we are always discovering and turning our members on to new content. Check our previous posts for links to recommendations from our club.
From your friendly neighborhood tech guy Scott Stimson,
head-Nerd at International Computer Solutions (internationalcs.net)
The San Carlos Computer Club
Contact Scott for Remote Help : email@example.com
Today’s meeting covered the following topics:
- Cheryl was interested in the iPad to laptop conversion that can be made by simply by adding the right keyboard case to your iPad tablet. We compared the following two products: 1) Gold & Cherry, and 2) Phixnozar, with a honorable mention to the Logitech Combo Touch.
- Best Trackpad Keyboard Cases for iPad in 2021.
- Alvin York
- The Great War (YouTube) – is a history YouTube channel and web series which covered the events of World War I week-by-week from July 2014 to November 2018,[excessive citations] now focusing on the events that followed it in longer episodes…from Wikipedia.
- Godfather of Harlem (Epix) – tells the “true story of infamous crime boss Bumpy Johnson, who in the early 1960s returned from ten years in prison to find the neighborhood he once ruled in shambles. With the streets controlled by the Italian mob, Bumpy must take on the Genovese crime family to regain control…from Wikipedia.
- Queen of the South (USA Networks) – is an adaptation of the telenovela La Reina del Sur, which is itself an adaptation of the novel of the same name by Spanish author Arturo Pérez-Reverte. The series centers around Teresa Mendoza, a poor Mexican woman who becomes wealthy by building a vast drug empire…from Wikipedia.
- Drug Squad: Costa del Sol (Netflix) – In 1977, a group of police detectives with limited resources, but a lot of ingenuity and courage, is picked to form a special drug-fighting brigade in Torremolinos on the Costa del Sol. The series is based on the true story of the Grupo Especial de Estupefacientes Costa del Sol, one of Spain’s first anti-narcotics squads.…from Wikipedia.
- American Made (Universal Pictures) – It is inspired by the life of Barry Seal, a former TWA pilot who flew missions for the CIA, and became a drug smuggler for the Medellín Cartel in the 1980s. In order to avoid jail time, Seal became an informant for the DEA.…from Wikipedia.
- After Hours (Warner Brothers) – is a 1985 American black comedy film directed by Martin Scorsese, written by Joseph Minion, and starring Griffin Dunne with an ensemble cast. The film follows Paul Hackett, portrayed by Dunne, as he experiences a series of misadventures while making his way home from New York City‘s SoHo district during the night…from Wikipedia.
- Sergeant York (Warner Bros. Pictures) – The film was based on the diary of Sergeant Alvin York, as edited by Tom Skeyhill, and adapted by Harry Chandlee, Abem Finkel, John Huston, Howard E. Koch, and Sam Cowan (uncredited). York refused, several times, to authorize a film version of his life story, but finally yielded to persistent efforts to finance the creation of an interdenominational Bible school…from Wikipedia.
- Poms (STX Entertainment)– The film follows a group of women from a retirement community who decide to start a cheerleading squad. It was theatrically released in North America on May 10, 2019, by STX Entertainment…from Wikipedia.
- One Night in Miami (Prime) – is a 2020 American drama film about a fictionalized meeting of Malcolm X, Muhammad Ali, Jim Brown, and Sam Cooke in a room at the Hampton House in February 1964, celebrating Ali’s surprise title win over Sonny Liston. It is the first feature directed by Regina King, from a screenplay by Kemp Powers based on his stage play of the same name…from Wikipedia.
- Kings of Cocaine (by Guy Gugliotta, Jeff Leen)
– Enter the terrifying world of the drug-lord demons of the Colombian Medellin cartel, a handful of billionaire kingpins who run an international drug-smuggling enterprise that is more efficient than many multinational corporations. They have saturated America and the world with cocaine…from goodreads.
- Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America’s Police Forces (by Radley Balko)
– The last days of colonialism taught America’s revolutionaries that soldiers in the streets bring conflict and tyranny. As a result, our country has generally worked to keep the military out of law enforcement. But according to investigative reporter Radley Balko, over the last several decades, America’s cops have increasingly come to resemble ground troops…from goodreads.
Episode Art Jigsaw Puzzle:
Our YouTube Meeting: https://youtu.be/Nd2tatsd8T8
The Impromptu Intro: The second Cuphead intro provided by Viviana, and myself. Only available on the podcast (listen if you dare.)
We have returned to Tuesday meetings at a new start time of 10:00am. We will continue our virtual format with online meetings in Google Meet for the foreseeable future.
The Google Meet is scheduled on Google Calendar. If you want to be on that calendar invitation, then provide me your Google account id. Also, provide me with your email address, or follow the appropriate accounts to see a reminder sent out by email, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and WordPress on the day of our meeting.
A CHALLENGE: Can you design a phrase or dialog to trigger and execute a smart speaker commands, while masquerading as conversation? #speakerhacker – Any command execution counts, for example: play a song, get the weather, turn on/off a light. The goal is to covertly execute the command with conversation. We’ll play with our speakers and check back in next week. (see article: Uncovered: 1,000 phrases that incorrectly trigger Alexa, Siri, and Google Assistant.)
Special thanks to all of you that have been helping in my endeavors. The things I am doing would not be possible without your support.
Remember, you can always show your support by taking a moment to go on YouTube and iTunes to review, like, and subscribe. When you give our efforts greater exposure it is appreciated as a contribution. Thank you for all your support.
I am always looking forward to our next meeting. Feel free to ‘prep me’ ahead of time with any topics you would enjoy discussing.
= Find Us On =
iTunes: The San Carlos Computer Club
This podcast is related to a blog post found at: https://www.sccclub.org/podcast/february-2-2021-19-mr-lub-quarantine-48.